If the link to apply for no longer works this may be because the job opportunity has closed early. We occasionally close vacancies early due to high volumes of applications. We would therefore recommend you complete your application prior to the closing date which is for guidance only.
Location: Cirencester Office (Hybrid working, 2 days in the office, 3 days remote)
Employment Type: Permanent
We are seeking a Financial Controller who will be responsible for the oversight and delivery of the St. James's Place Acquisition Services (SJPAS) group management accounts and associated financial, regulatory, and statutory reporting for the book of businesses and to support the growth of UK acquisitions.
The SJPAS group currently contains 8 operating companies, with combined £19m turnover and 150 employees. Supporting the development and implementation of systems, processes, and controls to support both the SJPAS entities now and in the future. In addition, the role holder will be required deliver group renewal asset assessment (£115m), goodwill (£35m) and group regulatory fees (£50m).
As a Financial Controller, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the financial health and stability of our organisation. You will be responsible for all aspects of financial management and financial reporting and analysis. Your keen eye for detail, analytical prowess, and intuition for business will be instrumental in driving our financial success and supporting strategic decision-making.
What you'll be doing:
- Delivery and ownership of the group monthly management accounts, including chairing the monthly SJPAS ‘reviewing the numbers’ meeting.
- The role has direct line management responsibility of 2 x Trainee Management Accountants and 1 x Senior Finance Administrator, as a line manager you'll play a key role in supporting your team member's development journey.
- You will review, challenge and sign-off the group controls pack.
- Provide senior management with relevant commentary as to the financial performance of the businesses monthly.
- Own the delivery of the financial operations framework for new acquisitions.
- Preparation of the finance board packs.
- Maintain the relationship with SJPAS’s key collaborators ensuring understanding of the operating models, team member value and controls environment.
- Oversight of the income reconciliation and associated partner payment.
- Own and deliver the group statutory accounts and lead external audit queries.
- Act as the Finance lead for group liquidations.
Who we're looking for:
- You'll have an in depth knowledge of financial accounting and ability to understand and interpret financial information.
- A strong understanding of financial operations within Small and Medium sized enterprises, including the use of Xero.
- Strong consolidation and M&A technical accounting.
- Experience of the financial services sector is desirable.
- Skilled in using Microsoft Office, specifically Excel.
- Must be an excellent verbal and written communicator.
- Must be a Qualified Accountant experienced in both management and statutory accounting.
- Experience in finance operations within SMEs.
- Experience of Xero
- The role will require some element of travel – around 5% of the time.
We know that everyone works best in different ways, at different times and in different environments. We value all of our employees and appreciate that everyone is different, and at different stages within their career. Recognising this, we have introduced a hybrid working policy to provide greater flexibility for part-time work, job-sharing, remote working, and flexibility on hours. Our people are encouraged to work in a flexible way that suits their lifestyle, so please ask the question and start a conversation!
Research tells us that applicants (especially those from underrepresented groups) can be put off from applying for a role if they do not meet all the criteria or have been on an extended career-break. If you think you would be a good match for this role and can demonstrate some transferable experience please apply, regardless of whether you tick every box.
Why work for us?
In addition to an attractive salary and eligibility to participate in the discretionary annual bonus opportunities, you will also receive an excellent benefit package including:
Non-Contributory Pension – 10% (increasing with length of service) with further pension matching
- *Meaningful protection benefits with real value, such as 10X life cover, PHI, and critical illness.
- Best in class terms and conditions including 6 months paid maternity and paternity leave.
- Private Medical and Dental Insurance
- 28 days holiday entitlement plus bank holidays (based on full-time equivalent) with the option to buy and additional up to 5 days
- Discretionary bonus scheme dependent on company and personal performance, varied by level
*Not applicable to fixed term contracts (standard uplift applies in lieu of the protection benefits)
Our culture is the glue that binds us together - It’s one of our biggest assets and one of the biggest reasons for our success. It’s underpinned by core values of doing the right thing, being the best version of ourselves and investing in long term relationships.
We want to embrace diverse backgrounds and experiences to connect with clients, solve problems and innovate. We raise our voice on the things that matter to us and drive change from the front. Contributing to our inclusive culture is vital, ensuring a space for everyone to be their authentic self, no compromises.
In all we do, we consider how our work affects the communities in which we belong. Over 96% of our group employees are involved in supporting our communities through financial education, charitable giving and volunteering. Over 80% of all our employees and Partners donate each month to our Charitable Foundation, which is now the 3rd largest corporate charity in UK.
SJP are delighted to have signed The Armed Forces Covenant, and we are active members of LGBT Great, 30% club, The Diversity Project, Disability Confident and more! Find out more: https://www.sjp.co.uk/careers/life-at-sjp
We understand it’s important to be proud of the company you work for, that’s why we’re proud to share with you some of our recent awards:
- Wealth Manager of the Year – Growth Investor Awards 2021
- Best Wealth Manager – Shares Awards 2021
- Championing LGBTQ Inclusion - Financial Adviser Diversity in Finance Awards 2020
- Top 75 Employer - Social Mobility Foundation Employer Index 2021
To find out more visit: https://www.sjp.co.uk/about-us/our-awards-and-recognition